Monday, January 5, 2009

It's a Wonderful Lie

Talk about a case of the Mondays. I woke up this morning with a frown on my face as I was getting ready for work. As I was putting on my make-up and watching the Early Show there was a segment on in which author Amy Tan poised the question, "if you were to die tomorrow would you be satisfied with what you did with your life?"

It totally made me sit down and think for a moment. While I would be completely satisfied with my home/family life I would be totally embarrassed by my work life.

I had these big plans when I was growing up. I was going to do something great with this life of mine. I wasn't going to hate going to work in the morning. I was going to make a difference.

My career path has been quite the bumpy road. I was always feeling unfulfilled and moving on to the next one to see if I could find a perfect fit.

One of the main goals I always had for myself was to be my own boss. This is a goal that I'm trying to fulfill by starting my own interior decorating business. I was busy all weekend trying to finish up more on-going projects in house to get everything picture perfect for my portfolio. Starting my own business has been a long process. There are many little details and then I'm always hit with that seed of doubt. What if I'm really horrible and friends and family are just trying to humor me? Ah!

I did start off this morning with a woe is me attitude, but on my drive to work I realized all I had overcome. Yes, this is not my dream job, but at least I have a paying job that allows me to finish up my house, pay for a website, pay for work insurance etc. Plus I've finally stopped being a chicken and I'm going full forced ahead for my decorating business. A dream I have had for as long as I can remember.
So my frown quickly turned upside down, because I knew that I was taking the steps to make my dreams a reality.

I know a lot of us in our twenties are going thru a quarter life crisis. I went through a really bad one around my 25th birthday. One of the things that made me feel like I wasn't the only one was finding, It's a Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths about Life in your Twenties by Emily Franklin.



It's a quick funny read that gave me an insiders point of view to what really happens in our twenties. It's okay to not be in our dream house, or have the perfect job or significant other. Even though I read the book a couple of years ago I still leave it on my nightstand as an in case of emergency read.

Also for more words of hope go onto Lil Bee's site. I love her blog and one of my favorite parts is when she has on guest bloggers. Today you can get some words of wisdom from Erin and how she dealt with finding her dream career along with another post from Kathy and how she is dealing with finding her dream job. Just more proof that we are not alone.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Boy, can I relate! I'm glad that things are coming into focus for you. I wish you all the best with your design business. XOXO

January 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buying that book now. boy am I there. On my way to SF, I had a breakdown in the car with my dad. he asked me a simple ? and I just started to cry hysterically. I think I freaked him out a smidge, but he was so right, I'm 24..nothing is set in stone yet!

January 5, 2009 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger Kwana said...

Wonderful post. I hope this still applies to you 30's going into your 40's I'm still not quite there yet eventhough I sure should be by now.

January 5, 2009 at 3:14 PM  
Blogger Nicki's Notebook said...

I too stumbled across those posts on lil bee and felt compelled to comment on kathys honest post. I will definately be reading the book you mentioned, im 24 and would love to work for myself but so many issues and doubts cloud my vision. best of luck with your interior design business! xx

January 5, 2009 at 8:14 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I've got to check out that book. (you know I need it! :)

And, you're just going to be awesome in your business. So much of it is personality & people will really love having you in their homes. It's so crazy to be at such a pinnacle ... you're going to be in a TOTALLY different place a year from now. I'm so excited for you!! :)

January 5, 2009 at 11:37 PM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

I think we all know how you feel. One of the hardest parts is actually starting your business, unfortunately it doesn't get easier from there, but it is SO worth it. Every time I get down and want to give up something will happen, a happy client will call, I will find the perfect piece for someone and then I will feel so much better. So when you are feeling frustrated, just hang on, it will pass I promise! You will be great!!!!!

January 6, 2009 at 7:53 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

never heard of that book, but it sounds great! Best of luck to you and your business and I just can't wait to see what lies ahead for you this year.

January 6, 2009 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger dee said...

Thank you so much for the link...so sweet, and I'm so happy people are enjoying the series:) I think we all could use a little inspiration right now, and Amy Tan's question is a powerful one. I say go for it with the interior design biz...if you love what you do, you're that much more ahead of the game.

January 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Feminist in the City said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that book. I'm going to have to dig it up and find it again to go back for some uplifting! (Hey did you steal my copy sissy???)

January 6, 2009 at 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home