Friday, March 12, 2010

I wish they all could be California Girls

Call it a case of the grass is always greener, but this east coast girl has always wanted to live on the west coast.

 



Perhaps it was way to many episodes of 90210 (the Brenda & Brandon days), but my heart was always set on a West Coast Casa. As I’ve grown up my dream location in Cali has changed from Beverly Hills, to LA, to San Diego, to Venice Beach and most recently I’m day dreaming of packing up and residing in Manhattan Beach.

 



This month’s issue of Coastal Living (thanks for the subscription Aunt Maureen!) made my desire to move to Manhattan Beach even stronger.

 



Under Coastal Living's Haven section we are met with the home of designer Jill Johnson. She took what was originally a house that they were simply going to paint white and rent to her labor of love that she now resides in.

 



In love with her front stoop. Those shingles make me instantly think of summer and the beach and with the  addition of the surfboard  I’m already thinking of what beach reads I’m bringing me with me to come visit. 



jilljohnsonfrontsteps 



Upon entering Jill’s home I already feel like I could call this place my own. With Jill’s background in fashion textiles she has a great eye for mixing  patterns. Notice how she uses stripes on the flooring, lattice print on pillows, more stripes on pillows and a busy pattern on the chairs. By varying the scales of your patterns your able to have all of them reside in the same room without looking too busy.



jilljohnsonlivingroom 



Love the causal vibe in the kitchen. The coat of white on everything just brightens up the space and the pops of blue and green just make me happy.



jilljohnsonkitchen



Love her use of vintage bamboo lighting fixtures. The small mirrors above the banquette remind me of portholes on a boat. The stripes also help to remind me of coastal living without being cheesy with an all out nautical theme.



jilljohnsondiningroom 



Jill continues the same color combo of grey/blues, greens and yellows in her master bedroom. Love the bamboo lighting fixture here as well!



jilljohnsonbedroom 



One of my favorite parts of her home is her kid’s room. Love the neutral stone colored grasscloth walls, the pop of aqua in the amoire and of course my favorite a little animal print! 



jilljohnsonnursery

 



You can find more picture’s of Jill’s home here, but if I were you I would go pick up a paper copy. It is so worth it. One of my favorite spaces in quite some time.

 



Jill’s design business is actually not a solo act. She partnered up with friend Suzanne Ascher and they started Waterleaf Interiorsin 2006.



jillandsuzanne



Make sure you check out their portfolio it is jaw-dropping!

 



Plus if you are in their neighborhood you must check it out their studio/shop and take some pictures for me!



waterleafshop 



Images 1-6 via Coastal Living, 7 via Waterleaf Interiors, 8 via SFGIRLBYBAY by BeachBungalow8

Labels: ,

34 Comments:

Blogger bryn alexandra said...

Oh I could tell you a million things you wouldn't love about California! I was there for four years, and couldn't leave soon enough. I love being on the East!

March 12, 2010 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I'd move in a heartbeat, if I knew I could find a job. Especially with the pouring rain in Seattle today. So depressing.

Her house is so peaceful.

March 12, 2010 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Just so you know, that "little beach cottage" in Manhattan Beach will set you back about $2.5 million.

Trust me, you don't want to live in California.

March 12, 2010 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger Design Esquire said...

Ooh, I drooled over their home too when I got my Coastal Living. That issue was fabulous.

March 12, 2010 at 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Jami said...

Beautiful home. I just recently came across this duo myself, and I love their work. How fun it would be to work with my mom!

CA is great :) You should move here someday!

March 12, 2010 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger bazaarofserendipity said...

I LOVE living in San Diego!! The weather is amazing, but the problem is its expensive to live here. Give and take ya know!

If you ever get the urge to visit! let me know :)

www.bazaarofserendipity.blogspot.com

March 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Isn't Jill's place amazing!!! She has such a great sense of chic beachy style. Parts of SoCal are lovely, but NoCal beats it by a country mile. If you move out here... SF might be the place for you.

And Barbara, is right the housing prices are insane, not to mention the taxes. I call it the sunshine tax. :-)

xo,
cristin

March 12, 2010 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Chic Coles said...

Her home is stunning! I have a friend who lives in Manhattan Beach and I think it would be so much fun to live out there! I am however, on my way back North to NYC after I graduate.

March 12, 2010 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Loved this spread in the mag, and love it here! Thanks.

March 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger Averill said...

This is beach-style at its best. I particularly love the breakfast area. Have a great weekend!

March 12, 2010 at 1:19 PM  
Anonymous Laura@JourneyChic said...

I love this house! It's so comfortable and cheerful.

March 12, 2010 at 1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After I saw this in Coastal Living, I looked through their portfolio and loved practically every image. Now I just have to figure out how to get a beach house!

March 12, 2010 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger ashlina {the decorista} said...

that design is perfection. love it!

March 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM  
Blogger Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I'm with you--always thought it would be nice to live on the West Coast! Alas, it's too far away from family and friends.

I flipped over this house when I saw it in Coastal Living, too. I kept flipping back to those pages to stare at it some more. Lovely!

March 12, 2010 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger Dreams of Perfection said...

I absolutely love how she added yellow to her room. The lamps int here are fabulous too. Right down to the trim on the shades. And you're right, her home has that coastal feel w/o being all cha-deezy!

March 12, 2010 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Oh, thanks for sharing. Love this house....the kitchen and the kids rooms...love them!

March 12, 2010 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger paula said...

I loved reading all about this home, such a transformation.

March 12, 2010 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Celeste said...

Amazing! I love the slightly retro feel to her rooms.

March 12, 2010 at 3:10 PM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

What a great house!

March 12, 2010 at 3:55 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

This is really beautiful. She definitely has a style all her own. Thanks for sharing!

March 12, 2010 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Kelly Green said...

thanks - am off to look at the portfolio. gorgeous pics! KG

March 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ooh i've been to their shop in Manhattan Beach - it's goooooorgeous! love the style.

March 12, 2010 at 7:04 PM  
Blogger Hamptontoes said...

Gorgeous shots...I love the animal print chaise and the armoire...beautiful. Have a great weekend.

March 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM  
Blogger Andy Quirks said...

so so pretty! just like your blog! i love the breeziness of every room!

xoxo,
andyquirks.blogspot.com

March 13, 2010 at 5:39 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Sabbe said...

so pretty. love the baby's room. I want to do a bench type thing on my dining table. do you think it would be hard for two people to get in and out? I was thinking it would be?

March 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger annie said...

lovely bedroom!


http://anmarkdesign.blogspot.com/

March 13, 2010 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Pink said...

I felt the same way about that house when I got this month's issue in the mail.

March 13, 2010 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Gwen Driscoll said...

Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Hope you are having a great weekend and I, too, would love to live in Cali some day.

Happy Weekend.

Gwen

March 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

This is so so pretty, props to Aunt Maureen for the subscription!! Hope you had a great weekend!

March 14, 2010 at 1:02 AM  
Blogger Melissa Blake said...

I used to drean of living on the east coast...now, actually, i want to live in California! Guess I'm getting tired of all the cold winters here in the Midwest!

March 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger Cherish @ My Cup of Tea said...

Love love love dining table benches!!!!!!!!!

March 15, 2010 at 5:03 PM  
Blogger deliciously organized said...

I was obsessed when I read this issue...and especially over this article. Makes me miss home so much. She has such a gorgeous home.

March 16, 2010 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger Alexandra Rae said...

Their portfolio is so Santa Monica/Manhattan Beach. I of course, living here, love it. I've never heard of their store or firm. (I'm north of the city, they're south). I need to get to Manhattan Beach more. I can't wait to visit the shop. But Yes, even in this awful market a (tiny) beach house like that in Manhattan Beach is a couple million, with no yard! You would love California. If you ever visit, let me know!

April 12, 2010 at 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Michelle said...

Love the outdoor dining area. Very beautiful natural stone walls. The kitchen looks even more amazing with the granite countertops and white clean finishes. Outside is very elegant and rustic. While inside is very modern and comforting.

June 24, 2014 at 3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home