Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How to frame a scarf

Last week I discussed my love for vintage scarfs! My special favorites happen to be by Vera. I think they are great to wear, but when you need a piece of large artwork that won't break the bank a scarf can fit the bill!

Some people are scared of framing scarfs, because due to the natural of the fabric it's sometimes hard to get the scarf to stay in place when you are framing it yourself. A scarf can always be professionally framed, but that means a bigger investment that varies on the size of the piece.

Here are some tips for DIY:

Scarfs don't come in the usual framing sizes that you can pick up on at your local craft store. A custom size also usually means a bigger investment, but I found a pretty budget friendly solution.

One of my favorite vendors, Wholesale Poster Frames:

They have the option for custom sizes with foam backings that prove to be very helpful for framing a scarf.

Here is what I did:



The whole package came to around $46 and it included the 30" x 30" frame, lens cover and foam backing. I ordered it and it was at my house in about 2 days.

Now to get your scarf framed here it what you do:

Make sure you iron your scarf and stay on the correct heat setting. Many scarfs are silk, which mean a low heat. You don't want to put your iron on high and then ruin your vintage treasure in seconds.



Then gave a couple of pins and a pair of pliers:



In order to get the scarf to stay in place you can place some pins around the border. You need the pliers, because standard pins are a bit too long and you need something about half it's size to fit perfectly into the foam backing of the frame:



Once your pins are cut to size you can now place your scarf onto of the foam backing and pin it into place.



Once pins are placed you are practically finished. Add your lens cover on top of the scarf and slide into frame:



Your corners will need to be secured close.

View of the front:



View of the back:


Voila all finished:


Super easy and inexpensive and now I have a nice sized piece of artwork for one of my finishing touches in my home.

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great post! I'd love to what it looks like when hung on the wall.
- Danielle

October 12, 2010 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger ECLECchic said...

It is stunning! Thanks so much for sharing and congratulations for your blog.

October 12, 2010 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger leanne said...

wow, great idea - i've never thought of doing that and I love gorgeous scarves. That is a definite to-do - thank you! x

October 12, 2010 at 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Christine {bijouandboheme} said...

Looks gorgeous! I have been compiling a folder of favourite vera scarves as well but was unsure of how I would get the right frame size- Thanks so much for the link to the custom framing place- fabulous!

October 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Lissa Pierce said...

Love this idea! Beautiful scarf as well!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm definitely bookmarking this! Now I'm on the hunt for my own Vera scarf.

October 12, 2010 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger coolkids said...

great tips!!!!It looks wonderful!

October 12, 2010 at 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Laura Casey Interiors said...

Super DIY idea! Finished product looks great.

October 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Full House said...

I am a fan of this. Love your Vera scarf to!

October 12, 2010 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger little luxury list said...

Thank you SO MUCH for this tip! I have started collecting Hermes scarves and have wondered how I was going to frame some of them!

October 12, 2010 at 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Design Elements said...

great post! greatings from Germany

October 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger LiveLikeYou said...

What a great idea. Maybe that's what I should do with all my scarves forgotten in drawers. You're the master of DIY's!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

Great idea! You make everything look so easy.

October 12, 2010 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

love the scarf colors.

October 12, 2010 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So pretty, when you mentioned this last week, I was wondering is you going to turn into a pillow scarf or frame it?

Then I thought if you frames it, is she doing the entire thing our a square? Good to see its possible to frame the entire scarf and have it look so amazing

October 12, 2010 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger My Galveston Cottage said...

What a very cool idea!!!

October 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for this! I wish I'd known about their site before having a custom frame made for my own Vera treasure :)

October 12, 2010 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Pink Wallpaper said...

very cute!!

October 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Paris in Pink said...

This is SUCH a creative idea. Love it! Great blog, by the way :) Paris in Pink

October 14, 2010 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger Beau lifestyle said...

nice idea, i wonder if i have a scarf pretty enough to place it in a frame...

October 18, 2010 at 6:42 PM  
Anonymous Deco said...

I have been contemplating this for awhile!! Checking out Hermes which I love. I also am a DIY and so thanks so much for the tips. I'm looking for frames and you solved it for me.
Well done!

November 15, 2011 at 7:00 AM  
Anonymous Passionate for design..Tracy said...

I have been contemplating this for awhile!! Checking out Hermes which I love. I also am a DIY and so thanks so much for the tips. I'm looking for frames and you solved it for me.
Well done!

November 15, 2011 at 7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home